Frederick’s was originally a public house, built in 1789 and called The Gun. On rebuilding in 1834 (the address was then 18 Pierpoint Row ) it was re-named The Duke of Sussex in honour of George III’s sixth son Prince Augustus Frederic, (1773-1843) from whom Frederick s takes its name. An improvident, likable man of passion and character, the Duke contracted a scandalous mésalliance in early youth: was a life long adherent to the Whig cause, and a consistent critic of George IV who refused ever to speak to him. Queen Victoria, however, loved her Uncle Sussex .
Somewhat changed over the past forty-four years, Frederick’s is a light, airy restaurant & bar with multiple spaces for dining, snacks, drinking, private parties and events. The Club Room, recently opened expands the bar in the evenings, for snacks, lunches and for private events.
The various menus are always carefully crafted, and the team of Chefs, many of whom have been with Frederick’s for a long time, put in a lot of time and effort to keep the dishes imaginative and tasty.